Our Mission for The Billups Center
- To become leaders in Men’s Health in the Greater Nashville community by looking at the whole man and working closely with like-minded specialists and primary care providers.
- To leverage sexual health concerns to engage men to proactively address chronic medical conditions.
- To be a resource for healthcare providers to refer men with sexual health concerns for comprehensive evaluation and treatment.
We’re committed to developing close relationships with other specialists and primary care providers to understand and manage the underlying symptoms and comorbidities related to men’s sexual health, such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, obesity, poor nutrition, lack of exercise, and sleep apnea.
Ten ways we differ from other Men’s Health clinics
- Dr. Kevin L. Billups, among the nation’s most respected specialists in Men’s Health and Sexual Medicine, brings his vision for innovative, highly effective care to the practice and over 25 years of experience.
- We partner closely with primary care providers and other specialists to ensure the underlying causes and symptoms are well managed to lead to the best outcomes for patients.
- We believe in close communication with fellow providers and specialists. That includes a commitment to communicating with them within a 24-hour time period after seeing a mutual patient.
- We provide thorough evaluations and work-ups via questionnaires, including a patient’s medical history, surgical history, medications, allergies, social history, family history, sexual history, nutrition history, fitness history, in-depth review of symptoms, physical examination, vital signs, blood work, and male genito-urinary (GU) work-up.
- We take the time to help our patients understand their sexual health status and treatment options, including drug-to-drug interactions or contraindications that could negatively impact their treatment.
- We believe that nutrition and exercise are important components of both sexual health and general health so we work closely with patients to help them take positive steps to improve their diets and appropriate level of physical activity.
- We take a preventive medicine approach that focuses on treating “the reason” for a condition—not the “quick fix.”
- Our team consists of a Physician (Urologist), Physician’s Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Medical Assistants, Lab Technicians, and a Nutritionist. We can also refer patients to Personal Trainers, Sex Counselors or Therapists, as are appropriate.
- We appreciate that patients may end up spending thousands of dollars on treatments that may not be necessary. We do our best to ensure that patients’ health insurance providers cover medications and procedures when medications or procedures are necessary.
- We see other specialists and providers as our partners and are committed to sharing educational resources with them, including protocols of care related to medications, nutrition, physical activity, surgical, and rehabilitation options.
Who do we want to refer patients to? What types of patients are we looking for?
We’re looking to establish two-way referral relationships with primary care physicians and specialists who will collaborate with us to achieve the best outcomes for our mutual patients.